Wednesday 19 August 2009

Rachel Barrett




















All images © Rachel Barrett

God knows how Rachel Barrett´s amazing work passed under my radar but sometimes these things happen. I only recently came across her submission from way back (sorry Rachel!) when I was clearing out all my old emails and I´m so glad I did because this is top drawer material. Anyway, without further ado, here is her introduction to the project:

"There are certain things we will only become aware of when they are caught with a camera. Along the Way is a photographic exploration of the everyday, an effort to uncover and reveal something unusual and unexpected within that which is familiar to us. The everyday can take on many forms, and in this work I allow it to do just that. The strength of this body of work lies in its ambiguity, that what is being looked at cannot be pinned down or easily figured out. I set out investigating the ordinary world through the lens of my camera,searching for a visual discovery, relying on serendipity to get me there."

Rachel Barrett (b. 1981) was raised in Cambridge, MA. She received her BFA in Photography & Imaging from NYU's Tisch School of the Arts in 2003 and her MFA in Photography, Video & Related Media from the School of Visual Arts in New York City. She has worked in the studio for various fine art and commercial photographers and herself has been exhibited in numerous group shows. Her current work, The NYC Newsstand Project, was recently featured in the Sunday New York Times.